The motion capture
September 22nd & 23rd - Centroid Mocap Stage, London
The Mocap Vaults is back with Faceware Technology Inc. and Rouge Mocap to bring you the most exciting event in motion capture this year.
On September 22nd & 23rd the Motion Capture Summit UK returns for a fourth year. This is an event that unites technology and drama for a two day intensive learning experience for actors, directors, animators and technicians, bringing all aspects of the process together for a collective sharing and developing of knowledge and skill.
Working in a professional motion capture stage, you'll be taught by a group of industry veterans with specialisation in all areas of mocap. Whether you want to work in front of the cameras or behind them, we're bringing together the greatest minds in the business for a momentus weekend of training and development.
WORKING IN A PRO STUDIO
Centroid Mocap Studios has captured some of the most iconic performances in video games. At last year's Summit, our students put together all they had learned over the two days and shot six scenes under the expert guidance of industry pros.
The animation, directing, technical and acting students demonstrated their newfound skills beautifully.
With this rare and valuable showreel material the students are able to kickstart their mocap careers and get ahead of the crowd. See the roundup from a previous USA Summit in the video above.
John Dower is a Director with over twenty years experience in Film, Television and Video Games. He started out as an actor himself, then studied at the Polish National Film Schol in Lodz. Bringing a film maker's sensibility into video games, John has directed in Motion Capture studios across the UK and USA as well as directing animation and voice in several games including 007: Legends and Milo & Kate. John teaches character creation and storytelling on the Games Design and Development course at the National Film School (NFTS) in London. John is also co-founder of The Mocap Vaults.
Co-founder of The Mocap Vaults and performance capture actor with 16 years in the business. Oliver was classically trained at The Bristol Old Vic Theatre School in the UK. His mocap career includes over 100 feature film, video game and television projects, playing characters that include Master Chief, Agent 47, James Bond, Iron Man, Spiderman, the Hulk and Ant Man. While continuing to perform, Oliver now works as a motion capture director and consultant to video game developers, and also works as a lead writer at Saber Interactive Games.
A certified industry veteran, Ralph is an ex Disney character animator. His credits include all time classics like Pocahontas, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Tarzan, Land Before time and many others. He then moved into the expanding frontier of character animation in video games, becoming Head of Aninmation on the Harry Potter franchise at EA. Since then, he has worked on some of the biggest titles in gaming, including the recent Quantum Break at Remedy Studios. He now lectures at NHTV in the Netherlands.
KATIE JO TURK
Katie Jo Turk holds a Master’s Degree in Dance from the University of California, Irvine and currently lives and works in Los Angeles, CA. She first entered the world of motion capture in 2010 and since then, she’s advanced from Production Assistant to Junior Studio Technician, QC Operator to Lead Studio Technician at UC Irvine, and finally Operations Assistant at Faceware Technologies, Inc. Her passion for mocap has provided numerous opportunities for her and her name can be found in the credits of some major video game titles such as: Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception, inFamous 2, The Last of Us, and God of War: Ascension.
Simon Kay has worked with Motion Capture in the video games and VFX industry for over 15 years. He’s currently the Motion Capture Supervisor with Oscar winning VFX company Double Negative, where his recent film credits include; Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant Man and Terminator Genisys. After studying 2D character animation, he began his career as a 3D character animator in video games before working at Centroid Motion Capture Studios. This has given him a unique insight into every aspect of motion capture, from both an artistic and technical perspective, as well as client and service provider.
ANIMATOR / DIRECTOR / TECHNICAL
Join us at the Summit as an animator, director or technician and study with some of the industry's finest as you discover motion capture from the production side.
- Learn how to set up and run a mocap shoot.
- Explore how performance capture data translates to digital characters.
- Experiment with the virtual camera, a real-time window in the animated world.
- Masterclasses from Faceware Tech Industries on head mounted cameras and face capture pipelines.
- Masterclasses from Charlie Ghislandi, discovering the tricks and techniques of the pros.
- Animators & directors will work with and direct actors to create living characters and scenes.
- Network with some of the greatest movers and shakers in the business.
To apply for an Actor/Performer place at the Summit you must be an existing student of ours. The Performer spot includes:
- Two full days in the suit working with mocap tech on a professional stage.
- Tuition from all the above tutors, all of whom are veterans of the industry and a number of whom regularly employ actors for their projects.
- A dramatic scene shot in as close to professional conditions as possible, all of which is filmed on multiple cameras in HD. The footage will be provided to you to begin your mocap showreel.
- Networking with some of the best minds in the business.
- More fun than money can buy!
Join us at the Summit as an observer and discover the inner working of a professional motion capture stage. Take part in our action packed shoot and get to grips with every aspect of the production.
- A hands on experience working with the mocap team to create exciting scenes
- Expert guidance on how to succeed in the business
- Networking with some of the industry's finest
- Ask questions and take notes, pictures and film as you soak up precious information from the pros
To apply for one of the above places at the Summit, please fill out the below form and we will respond to you once we have had a chance to assess all applications.